It can be scary and stressful to discover that your roof has been damaged by a storm. It must be repaired immediately. This is difficult when trying to manage the insurance claims process to replace or repair your roof. After determining the damage, you will need to find a trustworthy and reliable roofing contractor.
A professional roofing contractor in Myrtle Beach can help you navigate the claims process with insurance companies and make sure that your home is returned to its original condition as soon as possible.
You can take control of stressful times by having a checklist and information. Here are some suggestions.
Locate a reliable roofing contractor
An emergency repair is often the trigger for homeowner insurance claims. You will need to get the repairs or replacement completed as quickly as possible in order to restore your home’s safety, comfort, and privacy.
You’ll need to find a local roofer who can complete the task quickly and help you with your claims.
- Ask friends, family, or neighbors for recommendations.
- Get in touch with your local Better Business Bureau.
- Find trusted roofing contractors near you
- Check out the credentials of your roofing contractors
You need to hire a trustworthy roofer in Myrtle Beach in order to have your roof repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Find the right professional for your roofing project.
- Get quotes from up to four contractors near you.
- Visit the websites of each contractor.
- Are they professional and up-to-date
- Check out the reviews of each contractor.
- Are they mostly positive? Take into account negative responses.
The following questions should be asked of each roofing contractor over the phone:
- What length of time have you been in the business?
- What level of experience do you have in roof installation or repairs?
- How much do you think your project will cost?
- Could you please provide a list with references?
- Do you have proof of personal liability, worker’s comp, or property damage insurance?
After getting three to four estimates written and screening each potential contractor, you can meet with your insurance adjuster and present the estimates. Your insurance adjuster will need to make an appointment and will need to approve your contractor’s work.
Meet Your Top Contractors
To discuss project details and expectations, meet in person with your top contractors. To help homeowners compare contractors, create a worksheet. Make sure you discuss these points with every contractor.
Ask for proof that insurance has been obtained. This should include the name of the insurance company, the policy number and the policy limits.
- Discuss who will handle warranty details and liability.
- Before you sign a contract, make sure that you get a fixed price.
How to file a roofing insurance claim
After you have found an expert who can work on your roof, the next step is to file an insurance claim. Here are the steps.
Watch out for warning signs
There are a few contractors out there who aren’t honest professionals. These door-to-door contractors are known for scamming homeowners by offering pre-payments or covered deductibles.
It is best to select a trusted local Myrtle Beach roofer to avoid being scammed. This can be confirmed by verifying their address and validating their license.
These are some additional warning signs that you should be aware of:
- Do not hire contractors who ask for the entire project cost upfront or a large cash deposit.
- Do not be pressured into signing a contract by anyone.
- You should be wary of outliers in your estimates. If the material type is significant, all estimates should be fairly similar.
Get ready for your final contractor meeting
There are a few things you need to discuss at the final meeting before your roofing contractor starts work.
- Reconfirm your initial quote.
- You will agree to a payment schedule.
- Get a paper trail of these:
- Your contract
- Plans for projects
- Changes to orders
- Invoices and bills
- Documentation proving insurance coverage and/or permits
- Contractor correspondence
Call Greg Lilly Roofing & Restoration now if you need the help of an expert roofing contractor in your area.
Like our Facebook page for more great info about roofing services.