Have you experienced damage to your house due to a hailstorm, heavy rain, or ice? Did you notice minor leaks after the first rain of the season? Maybe you need to replace an old roof? You need to find a licensed professional roofing contractor who can handle any roofing project, whether big or small.
You need a roofing contractor that will give you sound advice, use quality products, explain procedures clearly, and provide solid results.
It is difficult to assess the reliability and capabilities of a roofer. This information is designed to provide you with a step-by-step, simple guide to finding the right contractor for you.
Finding The Right Roofing Contractor
Step 1: Where to start
The success of a roofing system depends on shingles’ quality, installation, and overall construction. You can start your search to find a roofing contractor that meets your needs in many different ways.
The best way to find reputable companies is through referrals. You can ask your friends, family and neighbors who they used in the past. Google search engines will return results for local roofing contractors in your area. Facebook and other social media sites are great ways to locate local roofing contractors.
Step 2: Meeting and Assessing potential roofing contractors
Take the time to evaluate each contractor after carefully making a list. Professional contractors will gladly provide you with any information that you need. Contractors in Myrtle Beach have often been unresponsive and unwilling to respond when homeowners call.
Tell them that you’re shopping around but only interviewing 3 contractors and not 10. Contractors are looking for jobs that are profitable and will result in referrals.
Meet with the roofing company‘s representative to discuss your requirements and qualifications. Pay attention to their attitude. Contractors who take pride in their work will be eager to help you solve your roofing issues. Ask for the company’s vital statistics if you are confident the contractor will be interested in your project. This information can help you to make a final decision.
- Business name and address – A professional roofing contractor should provide you with a permanent business address and a telephone number. They are vital when checking the previous business dealings of a company.
- Experience – You can determine a contractor’s ability to complete a roofing project by looking at their training, experience, and the age of the business. South Carolina has a special licensing requirement for roofing contractors. Make sure to ask for the business license number, which is current and valid. Consumers should avoid contractors who cannot provide this information.
- Insurance Coverage – A contractor must have worker’s compensation insurance and general liability coverage. Ask for the name and contact information of the insurance company, as well as a copy of the certificate of insurance. Beware of lowball bids resulting from inadequate insurance coverage or workers’ compensation.
Discuss the company philosophy, including application techniques and guarantees. Is the contractor willing to stand behind their work?
Step 3: Use the Contractors product knowledge
Your contractor should be up to date on the latest products that are available for your project. It’s important to be involved in the selection of products. Ask many questions about different shingles, such as the brand name, durability, thickness, color, design and warranty. The right roofing products are as crucial to the success of your project as choosing the right contractor.
Step 4: Consider Enhancements
If you are replacing your entire roof or repairing just a part of it, this is the perfect time to think about related projects. You may need to install a power roof vent, or larger gutters and downspouts. Consider adding more aesthetic features, like high-profile hip and rage roof shingles or installing new skylights. All these improvements are easier and more cost-effective when done as part of a roofing project.
Step 5: Negotiating and Understanding the Contract
Generally speaking, roofing contractors in Myrtle Beach will give you a proposal or an estimate before drafting a contract.
A standard estimate will include a price, a product description, and a color, but no options. Properly prepared proposals should provide more details, including each product’s brand name, price, service, and design. A proposal should include several options, product samples, and literature. Contractors who take the time to create a quality proposal are more likely to do a thorough job. Your contract should include all items that need to be completed. Put it in writing. Avoid verbal promises.
The contract should include the proposed work, estimated cost, and completion date. The contract should be read from front to back. Ask questions. Misunderstandings often cause contract disputes. Be sure to check that the contract covers the following items.
- Permits for Building – Which permits, if any, are required? Take into consideration local ordinances and HOA rules. Also, consider costs, requirements for posting, and any other restrictions.
- When will the project start and finish? Does it include a plan in case of delays due to weather conditions?
- What products/materials will you use? (i.e. brands, colors, etc…)
- Project Inspections: Number of inspections and completion date.
- Site Procedures: Work hours, cleaning procedures around the home and on the roof, safety precautions etc.
- Warranty – Includes both workmanship and product warranty.
- Terms – Payment method to include the waiver of liens upon final payment.
- Written-to-Rescind: Provides the right to cancel a contract without penalty in a specified time period (usually 3 days).
Step 6: Relax, Sit back and Enjoy the View
Researching well in advance can save you time and money later. You can relax once you are confident that your contractor is the best, has the best products and offers the best value. It is still important to keep an eye on the progress of your roof project to ensure that your contractor lives up to his reputation.
Call Greg Lilly Roofing & Restoration now if you’re looking for a reliable roofing contractor.
Like our Facebook page for more great info about roofing services.